Everything will be awesome when you’re part of the team! Animal Logic – the studio that brought you The LEGO Movie – is looking for a FX Lead to join our team. The FX Lead is responsible for understanding the visual and creative requirements for the film while maintaining a high quality traditional FX which may contain cloth, fur, fabric and crowds. This is a fulltime, contract role that reports to Artist Management.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Provide solutions to creative briefs through existing tools & processes
- Develop an understanding for the department pipeline including all assets and tools, and their purpose
- Accurately gauge time it takes to achieve tasks and hit deadlines consistently
- Develop particle and fluid simulations with direction from Supervisor
- Develop techniques and rigs to achieve and optimize approved looks with direction from Supervisor of adjoining departments and communicate with these departments as needed
- Become proficient with the departments propriety tools
- Contribute creative feedback in reviews
- Assist junior team members with any technical/artistic challenges they may have
- Leads a team under guidance from FX Supervisor and production team
- Provides leadership and mentors less experienced digital artists with production and Artist Management to develop the skills and abilities of all digital artists in their team
- Understands the overall goals of a project and communicates this clearly to each member of the team
- Delegates work responsibly to ensure successful completion of shots across team members of all skill levels
- Drives team reviews and, when appropriate, will offer feedback on reviewed shots
- Perform daily one-on-one rounds with artists and communicates production information to both the artists group and Production Management
- Participates in production pipeline problem solving
- Prioritize and break down a project into organized parts
- Participate in the recruiting and interview process for new employees as required
- 5 + years’ experience on feature films, TV and/or animated feature
- 5+ years’ experience in working on high quality FX and simulations
- 2 + years’ experience in a leadership/supervisory role
- 2+ years’ experience in crowd/character FX is a plus
- Lighting/Surfacing/Shading experience is a plus
- Proficiency in Houdini FX tools in a production environment (Houdini: SOPs/DOPs/POPs essential and Houdini: Vex and Python knowledge desirable)
- Deep understanding of traditional animation techniques, i.e. squash and stretch, anticipation, and key framing
- Ability to craft Non Photoreal FX, from a creative brief
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to efficiently organize and prioritize work across multiple areas and work under pressure
- Ability to inspire, mentor, and motivate the team
- Ability to effectively work and communicate with all personality types in English
- Ability to efficiently organize and prioritize assigned tasks
- Attention to design and artistic detail
- Ability to work solo as well as collaboratively within a team environment
- Excellence in problem solving and balancing quick turnaround with long term quality and ability to meet deadlines with high quality output
Why work for us?
- Family culture – we produce amazing award winning films in a culture that is passionate, fun, friendly and family oriented
- Benefits – We’ve got you covered from day one! Massage, dental, and an on-site gym, to name a few.
- Work/Life balance – we understand that people have families and activities outside of work, so we work hard to create a balance between work and life
- Social animals – join your co-workers in various social activities such as after work drinks, bake-offs, creative competitions and sporting events.
Interested? Please complete our online application form via our website http://www.animallogic.com/Careers/Jobs. Just make sure to tell us why you want this job in your cover letter.
Animal Logic recently completed production on The LEGO® Batman Movie, The Great Wall and The LEGO® Ninjago Movie. Animal Logic is currently in production on Peter Rabbit (2018) and The LEGO® Movie Sequel (2019). Other film credits include The LEGO® Movie, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Alien: Covenant, Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Great Gatsby, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole, 300, Happy Feet and The Matrix. Yes, that’s all us!
If you want to create GREAT WORK with GREAT PEOPLE then come and join us at Animal Logic, Vancouver.