Everything will be awesome when you’re part of the team! Animal Logic – the studio that brought you The LEGO Movie – is looking for a Lead Layout Artist. The Lead Layout Artist will be responsible for leading a team of Layout artist whilst working closely with the Layout Supervisor and Director to realise their vision, ensuring the standard and quality of the work produced is consistently high. This is a fulltime, permanent role that reports to Artist Management and the Layout Supervisor.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Leads a team under guidance from Layout Supervisor and production team, providing leadership, direction and allocating work to artists within the team
- Ensure all Layout Artists within the team are adequately trained to full fill the requirements of the production while mentors less experienced digital artists
- Support, establish and maintain an appropriate level of communication with all crew members and ensure they are properly supported and mentored
- Ensure conflict is identified early and constructive solutions are put in place to resolve/ diffuse
- Promote innovative ideas and approaches between different work groups and individuals
- Work closely with the Animation Director, Supervisors, Leads, and Technical Directors from other departments to ensure efficient pipeline management in and out of the Performance Unit
- Participate in brainstorming and problem solving to create and maintain production pipelines and support our overall technical goals
- Produce high quality animation in line with the Directors vision
- Become proficient with the departments propriety tools and provide solutions and new ideas to creative briefs to push creative boundaries using existing tools & processes
- Adhere to deadlines and communicate with Production
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the processes of the adjoining departments (e.g. Animation) in relation to Animal Logic’s pipeline and communicate with these departments as needed
- Understands the overall brief and goals of a project and communicates this clearly to each member of the team
- Delegates work responsibly to ensure successful completion of shots across team members of all skill levels
- Drives team reviews and, when appropriate, will offer creative/technical feedback on reviewed shots
- 7+ years’ experience working in CG on feature animation, VFX projects or TV Series
- 7+ years’ experience being part of layout and/or previs team
- Previous experience working with large digital feature film production pipelines
- Recognized post-secondary qualification in animation, film or related field preferable
- High level of working knowledge and understanding of 3D software packages used in digital film production, in particular XSI, Maya and compositing software
- Expert knowledge and understanding of layout/previs techniques such as staging and framing rules
- Experience in camera animation and scene set-up, and having an eye for picture composition and attention to detail
- Cinematography knowledge and understanding of story and scene layout
- Knowledge of traditional camera techniques and the principles of translating storyboards to 3d
- Proven ability to produce high-level camera work with an in depth knowledge of composition
- Proven ability of editing and ensuring continuity over a sequence of shots and the film
- Excellent visual communication skills including but not limited to drawing
- A demonstrated passion in Layout, picture cinematography, cinematographic history, staging and directing
- Enthusiasm, positivity, initiative and talent, coupled with an understanding for taking direction
- Ability to work solo as well as collaboratively within a team environment
- Maintain a flexible approach with the ability to achieve deadlines within a team environment while under pressure
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to efficiently organize, multi-task, prioritize work across multiple areas
- Problem solve and balance quick turnaround with long term quality
- Willing to learn, and contribute to the success of the team and project
- Have the ability to listen and be open to all feedback given; anticipating the supervisors/leads and directors preference in accordance to the style of the project
- Ability to effectively work, communicate and provide constructive feedback with all personality types
- An ability to direct and lead a team of layout artists, keeping them motivated and on track
Why work for us?
- Family culture – we produce amazing award winning films in a culture that is passionate, fun, friendly and family oriented
- Benefits – We’ve got you covered from day one! Massage, dental, and an on-site gym, to name a few.
- Work/Life balance – we understand that people have families and activities outside of work, so we work hard to create a balance between work and life
- Social animals – join your co-workers in various social activities such as after work drinks, bake-offs, creative competitions and sporting events.
Interested? Please complete our online application form via our website http://www.animallogic.com/Careers/Jobs. Just make sure to tell us why you want this job in your cover letter.
Animal Logic recently completed production on The LEGO® Batman Movie, The Great Wall and The LEGO® Ninjago Movie. Animal Logic is currently in production on Peter Rabbit (2018) and The LEGO® Movie Sequel (2019). Other film credits include The LEGO® Movie, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Alien: Covenant, Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Great Gatsby, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole, 300, Happy Feet and The Matrix. Yes, that’s all us!
If you want to create GREAT WORK with GREAT PEOPLE then come and join us at Animal Logic, Vancouver.