Everything will be awesome when you’re part of the team! Animal Logic – the studio that brought you The LEGO Movie – is looking for a Mid Modeler. The position involves interpreting a variety of media from Concept Art and creating applicable, working 3D models back into the pipeline ready for utilization from other departments. This is a fulltime, contract role that reports to Artist Management and the Modelling Supervisor.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Utilize software such as Maya, UV Layout, Z-Brush, and LDD to produce high quality work
- Produce complex models to a high standard with a thorough understanding of shape, scale and form for both LDD and Maya models
- Work within/produce – topology/wire frame, turntables, character and/or environment
- Produce accurate UVs for models for use in downstream departments
- Interact with tracking systems and production staff
- Interpret 2D designs and translate them into 3D space while maintaining the original artistic intent
- Produce highly optimized meshes that can be rendered and displayed efficiently for downstream departments such as Rigging, Layout and Lighting
- Assume responsibility for ensuring assigned work is produced to appropriate standard quality within the scheduled timeframe and deadlines.
- Utilize good knowledge of emerging technologies to find innovative ways to incorporate these into work processes (in consultation with seniors/supervisors)
- Ensure a high level of communication is maintained with senior artists and production management particularly where situations arise that may compromise the quality or scheduled delivery of material
- Escalate issues or potential issues in a timely manner to leads or supervisor if applicable
- Distribute and share knowledge regularly to assist in the ongoing development of innovative tools and or techniques for modelling
- Exhibit a keen design sense and proactively provide creative input where appropriate
- Efficiently document workflow and feedback from Leads or Supervisors
- 3+ years’ experience with VFX/Animation software tools and processes TV and/or animated feature films
- 3+ years’ experience in modelling
- Thorough knowledge of Maya and Z-Brush, with LDD as a bonus
- Solid understanding of hard surface modelling techniques and topology
- Solid understanding of proper edge flow and polygon density
- Solid understanding of the topological requirements of subdivision surface for both static and deforming models
- Thorough knowledge of both hard surface and organic, environments, props, creatures
- Strong understanding of industry standards, conventions, and formats to enable successful completion of work
- Solid understanding of digital production and overall pipeline methodology
- Proven technical and visual skills with an understanding of art and design within animation environment.
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to abstract and interpret design down to its’ fundamentals
- Strong organisational and time management skills
- Completed education in a relevant field is preferable
- English verbal and written skills are required to fulfil the requirements of the job
To be successful, please include in your reel examples of:
The primary software used for Modelling on The Lego Movie 2 is Lego Digital Designer. You can download LDD for free at: http://ldd.lego.com/en-us/. Please provide your own design using this software and attach a Jpeg of your design to your application.
Salary range CAD$80 – 105k and extended medical benefits. In addition, we include a comprehensive benefits package with paid vacation time, extended medical and dental, AD&D, LTD and Life insurance. Relocation assistance provided if required. If you are interested in applying for this role please fill out our online application form via our website. http://www.animallogic.com/Careers/Jobs or contact us at email@example.com
Animal Logic recently completed production on The LEGO® Batman Movie, The Great Wall and The Master: A LEGO® Ninjago Short. Animal Logic is currently in production on, The LEGO® Ninjago Movie (2017), Peter Rabbit (2018) and The LEGO® Movie Sequel (2019). Other film credits include The LEGO® Movie, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Alien: Covenant, Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Great Gatsby, Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole, 300, Happy Feet and The Matrix. Yes, that’s all us!
We are based in Sydney, LA and are now very excited to be establishing a presence in Vancouver within the creative precinct of Yaletown. Production on our first Vancouver-based animated feature has commenced with more animated features in the pipeline. Our business and work location for this role is 840 Cambie Street, Vancouver.