ABOUT IMAGE ENGINE
Well known for our work on Neill Blomkamp’s District 9, Image Engine has gone on to create numerous incredible creatures, epic environments and extraordinary digital effects for a broad range of feature films! We are led by a team of creative and passionate individuals who are committed to furthering the art of visual storytelling, and helping our exceptionally talented crew to push the boundaries of artistic and technical achievement at our studio.
The Senior Compositor is responsible for delivering high quality shots in a quick and efficient manner. They will act as an example to and mentor junior artists and will deliver all tasks within the required timeframe. They will exhibit a positive/calm demeanor and maintain morale levels during peak production periods. They will quality check all of their work and occasionally will assist the Leads to quality check the work of junior artists should the workload require it. They will maintain clarity and focus during peak periods to ensue show delivery.
In addition, Senior Compositors will assist the Leads and Compositing Supervisor to flag issues. They will potentially assist in the Lead role on a short term basis in the event of an absence or production needs require it. They will participate in team meetings when necessary.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Apply client notes to all comp shots with minimal guidance
- Communicate successes and challenges faced by the team to the Compositing Supervisor
- Take direction from the Compositing Supervisor to help realize the vision of the shots
- Work with lighting team members to achieve high quality complex composites
- Design and develop procedural and innovative tool sets, pipelines and techniques for the Compositors
- Ensure continuity is upheld across shots and sequences
- Offer guidance and mentoring for junior to mid-level compositors
- Complete compositing tasks including blue/green screen pulls, 3D projection environment in Nuke, balancing and sometimes creating shadow elements, color correction, wire & rig removal, roto, dust-busting, morphs, transitions, background replacement, day-for-night, dry-for-wet and a host of other 2D issues
- Manage time and resources to meet weekly targets
- Promote interdepartmental collaboration
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 5+ years’ experience in compositing digital VFX for film
- Extensive experience with complex matte extractions and motion tracking
- Strong understanding of photography, physics and lighting
- Excellent attention to detail when finalizing, approving or quality controlling shots
- Ability to balance quick turnaround while achieving a high degree of aesthetic quality
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Senior experience in Nuke
- Strong aptitude for technical workflow challenges such as directory structure, file formats, naming conventions, scripts, automation tools, automated dailies, etc.
- Strong knowledge of compositing workflow and the compositing application interface
- Ability to troubleshoot and deal with competing priorities and projects
- Ability to adapt quickly to new technologies and applications
- Ability to teach new techniques and apply new approaches to push compositing to the next level
- Excellent time management and communication skills
- Ability to remain calm during peak production periods and maintain the morale of the Compositing team.
DUE TO THE SHORT DURATION OF THE PROJECT, WE WILL ONLY BE ABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES ALREADY AUTHORIZED TO WORK IN CANADA.