ABOUT IMAGE ENGINE
Based in Vancouver BC, we are a world-class visual effects studio led by a team of creative and passionate individuals who are committed to furthering the art of visual storytelling, and helping our exceptionally talented crew to push the boundaries of artistic and technical achievement.
Well known for our Academy Award Nominated work on Neill Blomkamp’s District 9, we have gone on to create numerous incredible creatures, epic environments and extraordinary digital effects for a broad range of feature films including; Zero Dark Thirty, Jurassic World, Game of Thrones, and Independence Day Resurgence.
We can do this because we place awesome new tools in the hands of our artists. R&D is central to our philosophy of driving creativity through innovation, with a focus on continually evolving our robust production pipelines and pioneering in the area of proprietary software development.
The Senior Hard Surface Modeler is responsible for delivering high quality assets in a quick and efficient manner. They will act as an example to and mentor junior artists and will deliver all tasks within the required timeframe. They will have experience in all areas of Hard Surface modeling and an understanding of Organic modeling. Senior Hard Surface Modelers will be able to apply briefing notes with minimal direction from team Leads or Supervisors. They will quality check all of their work and occasionally will assist the Leads to quality check the work of junior artists should the workload require it. Senior Hard Surface Modelers will work on assets across multiple shows and produce high quality work at varying levels of difficulty.
In addition, Senior Hard Surface Modelers will help the Leads and Asset Supervisor to flag issues. They will potentially assist in the Lead role on a short term basis in the event of an absence or if production needs require it. They will participate in team meetings when necessary.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create complex 3D hard surface models to be used in production
- Apply client notes to all assets with minimal guidance
- Identify solutions and approaches to solve difficult tasks
- Communicate successes and challenges faced by the team to the Hard Surface Leads
- Process requests from other departments in the pipeline
- Use time management skills to schedule meetings and tasks effectively
- Manage time and resources to meet weekly targets
- Occasionally required to work on organic model assets as needed
- Determine the broad technical and creative approach, in conjunction with the Hard Surface Leads
- Participate in bidding new projects
- Work within the defined pipeline
- Promote interdepartmental collaboration
- Ensure all email correspondence and scheduling is up to date, responding to emails in a timely manner
- Participate in meetings, dailies, rounds, and asset reviews
- Produce the highest quality work possible within a given amount of time
- Work with Modeling team, as required, to maintain continuity; as well as, support other asset departments (Texture, Lookdev, Rigging) to ensure information is communicated up and down the pipeline
- Mentor and help train Jr modelers
- Utilize multitasking ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 5+ years’ experience creating high quality hard surface models for visual effects for film
- Demonstrated proficiency in creating photo-realistic hard surface assets
- Thorough understanding of traditional art skills (Form, architecture, anatomy, topology, color theory)
- Excellent attention to detail when finalizing, approving or quality controlling assets
- Ability to balance quick turnaround while achieving a high degree of aesthetic quality
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Expert level experience in Maya
- Experience with UV Mapping
- Proficiency in Zbrush
- Mari and Mudbox knowledge is preferred
- Experience with LINUX/UNIX is an asset
- Photoshop knowledge is desirable
- Ability to assist in the bidding process
- Ability to troubleshoot and deal with competing priorities and projects
- Ability to take direction positively, work well within a diverse group, and thrive under the pressure of tight production deadlines
- Ability to adapt quickly to new technologies and applications
- Ability to teach new techniques and apply new approaches to push assets to the next level
- Excellent time management and communication skills
DUE TO THE SHORT DURATION OF THE PROJECT, WE WILL ONLY BE ABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES ALREADY AUTHORIZED TO WORK IN CANADA.