ABOUT IMAGE ENGINE
Based in Vancouver BC, we are a world-class visual effects studio led by a team of creative and passionate individuals who are committed to furthering the art of visual storytelling, and helping our exceptionally talented crew to push the boundaries of artistic and technical achievement.
Well known for our Academy Award Nominated work on Neill Blomkamp’s District 9, we have gone on to create numerous incredible creatures, epic environments and extraordinary digital effects for a broad range of feature films including; Zero Dark Thirty, Jurassic World, Game of Thrones, and Independence Day Resurgence.
We can do this because we place awesome new tools in the hands of our artists. R&D is central to our philosophy of driving creativity through innovation, with a focus on continually evolving our robust production pipelines and pioneering in the area of proprietary software development.
The Senior Layout Artist is responsible for delivering high quality layouts in a quick and efficient manner. They will act as an example to and mentor junior artists and will deliver all tasks within the required timeframe. They will work with the Lead to translate previs or storyboards into usable 3D shots or sequences.This will include but will not be limited to camera set up, rough animation, environments, and asset blocking. They will have a creative eye and generalist experience to effectively set up shots and sequences. Senior Layout artists will be able to apply briefing notes with minimal direction from team Leads or Supervisors. They will quality check all of their work and occasionally will assist the Leads to quality check the work of junior artists should the workload require it.
In addition, Senior Layout artists will assist the Lead to flag issues, quality check their work and occasionally they work of others. They will potentially assist in the Lead role on a short term basis in the event of an absence or production needs require it. They will participate in team meetings when necessary.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Apply client notes to all layouts with minimal guidance
- Communicate with downstream departments to ensure the setup enables artists to complete their work in the most effective manner
- Breakdown previs or 2D story board into 3D shots or sequences
- Stage all shots in line with the VFX Supervisor/Directors creative vision
- Overcome technical issues (day to day problem solving), in conjunction with R&D and the CG Supervisor
- Set up data to maximize throughput
- Work with R&D to develop and suggest tools
- Evaluate artists work to set and maintain quality standards
- Work with Layout team, as required, to maintain continuity; as well as, support other departments to ensure information is communicated down the pipeline
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 5+ years’ of Layout experience with high end film
- Experience with managing large datasets
- Ability to adapt matchmove cameras/data fit for environment or sequence context
- Thorough understanding of traditional art skills (Form, architecture, anatomy, topology, color theory) and how to apply those skills in a digital medium
- Excellent attention to detail when finalizing, approving or quality controlling layouts
- Ability to balance quick turnaround while achieving a high degree of aesthetic quality
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to communicate with downstream departments to assess needs
- Senior level knowledge in Maya and Nuke
- Knowledge of Houdini is a plus
- Experience with LINUX/UNIX
- Ability to come up with creative and efficient rendering solutions
- Strong understanding of sequences versus shots
- Ability to learn pipeline and workflow quickly
- Ability to help with bidding; determine the timeframe and scope required for each project
- Ability to troubleshoot and deal with competing priorities and projects
- Ability to adapt quickly to new technologies and applications
- Excellent time management and communication skills